One of the things on my back-to-homeschool to-do list was “create a month-long back to school menu”.
Things like this make the start of the school year, with its transition and busy schedule, much easier.
Since I had been procrastinating on this, I sat down with 10-year-old Sadie and a few cookbooks to help me.
When we were done, I noticed there was no fish on the whole thing. I like to eat fish once a week. Then I remembered that Sadie doesn’t like fish. Oops. I did include a slow cooker meal at least once a week. Those are handy on nights I’m driving the ballerina across town to class.
So here goes. We start school on September 1, and now I don’t have to think about making a menu for an entire month. (Because I love having made a meal plan, but don’t enjoy meal planning. Many things in life go this way don’t they?)
Back To School Menu
- Burrito Bowls – these are so easy and everyone can have them their way
- Omelets (I put leftover bits of whatever’s on hand in these, awesome frugal meal.)
- Taco Chicken Salad (Pioneer Woman’s recipe, we love this dish)
- Vegetable Soup
- Ranch-Style Chicken (also PW’s)
- Beef Stroganoff with mashed cauliflower, green bean “fries” (this is a recipe from the TrimHealthyMama cookbook and we all love green beans prepared this way!)
- Cobb Salad
- Dirty Rice
- Garlic Lime Chicken, risi e bisi (Italian-style rice with peas and Parmesan)
- Potato-Leek Soup
- Pot Roast with vegetables
- Chorizo with onions, bell peppers, beans and rice
- Homemade Pizza
- Arroz con Pollo
- Taco Soup
- Cabbage & Kielbasa
- Beef Stew with vegetables
- Baked Potato Bar
- Chicken Gruyere with green beans nicoise
- Minestrone Soup
- Cheeseburgers and sweet potato fries
- Vegetable Chili
- Chicken Cacciatore with rice or gluten-free noodles
- Lentil Stew
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Boeuf Bourguignon
- Black Bean Soup
- Cashew Chicken with rice
- Tomato Soup w/ Parmesan “croutons”
- Roast Chicken with vegetables
I’ll have to eat tuna for lunch to get my allotment of fish I suppose. But I’m glad this “back to school” to-do list item is done!