Update Sept 2021: Yes I’m still a LipSense/SeneGence distributor and my business continues growing. 🙂 I’m more grateful for it every day! Last year the team achieved $1.2 Million in sales. Click here for more information about the September free sign up 2021.
(Disclaimer: this is not a get rich scheme. Success in a direct sales business requires work and the ability to work well with people, including leading a team. Right now I have 340+ women on my team, and I love being part of their success!)
My LipSense Business
(Originally published in May 2017)
Last month I did a series of posts on how to start a home business with your tax return. When I wrote that series, I had not begun my LipSense business. A lot has changed since!
This blog isn’t going to turn into a LipSense business site, that is HERE. However, I am going to share a bit today about why I decided to become a distributor for SeneGence International.
First let me say this: If you told me a year ago that I would be doing direct sales, I would have never have believed you! While I respect the industry as a whole, I had not had success with it in the past. Growing up, my mom was a Tupperware manager. She made great money, earned an exotic vacation, and we drove a Tupperware company car for years! I also have a few friends who are successful in direct sales. However, I never thought it was for me.
“I’m not a salesperson.”
I’m a blogger. A writer. Someone who likes to sit behind her computer, type all the words, and communicate without, you know, actually having to TALK to anyone. That’s what I thought!
I now know that’s a common objection. The truth is, ALL business is sales, and anyone who loves a product can sell it. We do this all the time! When we convince a toddler to eat his veggies, we’re selling. When we tell a friend about a great book, we’re selling. When we recommend a product on our blog, we’re selling! We’re BORN good at sales. 😉
LipSense Business: Why I became a SeneGence distributor and how it’s working for me
Firstly, I love the product line.
LipSense is awesome. It makes every woman look like she has supermodel lips. It’s long-wearing (6-18 hours) while still feeling amazing.
In addition, the skin care is effective. The cosmetics are long-wearing and smudge-proof, based on botanical ingredients. They simplify the lives of busy women. Nobody has time to reapply or worry about mascara melting under their eyes!
(Side note: Click here for info on where to buy LipSense: skip eBay and Amazon so you avoid fakes!)
But, success in direct sales requires more than loving the product. It requires a few distinct characteristics in the company itself.
I’ve spent years researching this industry. I also networked for many years with women in direct sales. I am absolutely convinced that the product and company must have several essential characteristics. SeneGence has all of those characteristics. I speak more about this in this video: 8 reasons it’s easier to make money with SeneGence than other companies.
TL; DR is this:
– the product line must be consumable (so you have customers coming back to you again and again for residual product sales)
– it must be a product most people already use rather than a technology noone is familiar with/requires a long learning curve (nearly all women use cosmetics and/or skin care
– the product must be unique in the marketplace, not a “me too” product available elsewhere or repackaged/relabeled from another manufacturer
– the compensation plan must reward part-time effort and allow for quick earnings in weeks, not months or years
– there must be international presence
– the company must not be a start-up, it must have a proven track record of success without reaching saturation in the marketplace (absolutely true – SeneGence is a 21 year old company that most people have never heard of)
The SeneGence/LipSense business opportunity has all of these essential characteristics.
I’m finding that women love the products. They come to me asking to buy it. As soon as they see it on, notice how well it wears, and experience how it doesn’t smudge or kiss off, they want it! My customers also refer friends to me, meaning my customer base grows organically.
In 3.5 years, I’ve only issued TWO refunds on product sales. That’s saying a lot!
My second reason for starting a LipSense business
My other motivation is not financial. It’s deeply personal. As long-time readers of this blog know, I gave birth to a 27-weeker preemie 5 years ago. Thankfully, he is perfectly healthy. But the experience of that pregnancy, his birth and NICU stay… traumatized me. I struggled with grief and depression. While getting back to blogging, something I love to do, was very healing, I needed more.
Once the depression lifted, anxiety settled in. I began avoiding people. This is not the person I want to be. Starting a LipSense business forced me to talk to people again. And I’m having so much fun! Getting out of my comfort zone has been KEY in helping me feel whole and like myself again!
How much money does it take to start a SeneGence/LipSense business?
It’s $65/year. That price includes a demo kit pictured below. One thing I love about this business model is that there are no monthly minimums, no auto-ships, and no party requirements.
Who is a LipSense business right for?
– People who want to be business owners and who are willing to treat it like a business
– People who are willing to learn and work (this is not a get-rich-quick thing)
– People who have a positive outlook
– People who are committed to succeeding
– People that need/want a few extra hundred or more a month
– People who have some disposable income to put into building stock. While you don’t have to have stock to do this business, think about it like this: If you went into Target you’d want to take the items home with you, you wouldn’t want to pre-order it.
Who This Business Would Not be Good For
– People who are not willing to learn, to be open, to try new things and get out of their comfort zone
– Negative people
– Those with no disposable income
– People who aren’t coachable
What’s the income potential with a LipSense business?
It’s pretty wild what’s possible with this business. We can’t make income claims but I can tell you that whatever you’re willing to work for is possible.
There’s also the opportunity to earn a car (a lease that SeneGence then reimburses you for) and trips! This year the trips are to Bora Bora and Hawaii (this trip I earned in 2020 and am on track for the 2021 trip).
One of my favorite things about my LipSense business? Rubbing shoulders with other amazing boss babe moms who cheer one another on. Being mentored and supported by wonderful, hard-working women is awesome! Here are a few of us at a company leadership convention. I was honored to be invited to this event representing the top 5% of the company’s leadership.
Non-Financial Benefits of my LipSense Business:
– My Facebook feed is now full of beautiful women telling other beautiful women how amazing they look.
– I’ve never felt alone in this business. There is so much support and training that it’s kind of mind-blowing.
– I’ve gotten to show my son what a strong business woman looks like! I love being that kind of role-model for him.
– While I love sharing our wedding photography business with my husband, it sure is nice to have something that’s all my own. Something that I get to call all the shots on.
– I get to help other women become business owners and I get to see them feel supported and empowered. I’m changing other people’s lives! I love helping and supporting small-businesses.
– I’m re-connecting with people that I had lost contact with
– I’ve gotten to feel proud of myself by getting out of my comfort zone
– I’ve actually spent less money on Amazon (Amazon-aholic much?) because I’m not “bored” or engaging in “stress” spending
– I have a whole new group of women friends! We support each other and we build each other
As I said, this blog isn’t going to become a LipSense business blog. I won’t be posting about SeneGence for a long time here. But if you’re interested at all in learning why I, as an established blogger and internet marketer, decided to start a LipSense business, watch this short video a few of the ladies on my team put together. I’m at the end.
That’s it! I invite you to take a serious look if you need a side hustle or want a lip color product that is patented and better than other products on the market. You can learn more at my LippyChic Facebook page.
Disclaimer: results like mine are not typical. Why? Because most people won’t work hard to succeed in a business. Does that describe you? Or do you like to hustle and make your goals happen? If you do, contact me. As a member of the Direct Sellers Association, SeneGence and its distributors are not allowed legally to make income claims. If you’d like to know how much money I earn, email me and I’ll tell you in person on the phone! My email address is clauth at gmail dot com. If you have a great work ethic and want to change your life, I’d love to talk to you.