Even though parenting can be frustrating and tiring at times, most of us wouldn’t trade the joys for anything. Researchers say that parents are often not happy in the moment, but that having children pays dividends later on in life, when you look back on things. In other words, nobody enjoys cleaning crayon off the wall, but you will love having your grown children all around the table for Sunday dinner.
In addition, being a parent means you experience random, unexpected nuggets of pure joy. Since much of our happiness is due to a positive attitude and reflecting on what we’re thankful for, it’s important to take a moment to reflect on what you enjoy about parenting.
And so I present…
10 Top Things About Being a Mom
1. You have someone who is always ready and willing to cuddle.
2. If you can bake cookies, you’re a genius – a master chef!
3. You get to put “afternoon at the park” on your actual agenda.
4. Hearing your child say for the first time, “I love you mommy.”
6. Watching your kids sleep peacefully. Ahhh. Enjoy the silence.
7. Being able to see ordinary, simple things through a child’s eyes. So much delight.
8. Learning to slow down and enjoy the moment.
9. Unconditional love. Your baby doesn’t care if you sing out of key or if your hair is a mess.
10. Being able to see your hard work playing out in their lives as they grow and mature.
11. Baby toes, soft cheeks, pudgy feet and bellies that poke out and just beg to be tickled.
12. Getting to re-read all the books you loved as a kid.
13. When your 9 year old knows how to operate the coffee machine. And serves you coffee.
Oops. That was thirteen.
What are some of your favorite things about being a Mom?