Update November 2018: My LipSense business is rocking and rolling. This post was published when I first started. I had no idea how fast my business would take off, leaving me no time for blogging! Since I wrote this post, I’ve turned that side hustle into a full-time income. I feel incredibly blessed by what the business, and the leap of faith I took, has brought into my life.
(Disclaimer: this is not a get rich scheme. Success in a direct sales business requires work and the ability to work well with people, including leading a team. Right now I have 270+ women on my team, and I love being part of their success!)
My LipSense Business
(Originally published in May 2017)
Last month I did a series of posts on how to start a home business with your tax return. When I wrote that series, I had not begun my LipSense business. A lot has changed in just a couple of weeks!
This blog isn’t going to turn into a LipSense business site, that is HERE. However, I am going to share a bit today about why I decided to become a distributor for SeneGence International.
First let me say this: If you told me a year ago that I would be doing direct sales, I would have never have believed you! While I respect the industry as a whole, I had not had success with it in the past. Growing up, my mom was a Tupperware manager. She made great money, earned an exotic vacation, and we drove a Tupperware company car for years! I also have a few friends who are successful in direct sales. However, I never thought it was for me.
“I’m not a salesperson.”
I’m a blogger. A writer. Someone who likes to sit behind her computer, type all the words, and communicate without, you know, actually having to TALK to anyone. That’s what I thought!
I now know that’s a common objection. The truth is, ALL business is sales, and anyone who loves a product can sell it. We do this all the time! When we convince a toddler to eat his veggies, we’re selling. When we tell a friend about a great book, we’re selling. When we recommend a product on our blog, we’re selling! We’re BORN good at sales. 😉
LipSense Business: Why I became a SeneGence distributor and how it’s working for me
Firstly, I love the product line.
LipSense is awesome. It makes every woman look like she has supermodel lips. It’s long-wearing (6-18 hours) while still feeling amazing on. In addition, the skin care is wonderful and effective. And, the cosmetics are long-wearing and smudge-proof, based on botanical ingredients. They simplify the lives of busy women. Nobody has time to reapply or worry about mascara melting under their eyes!
But, success in direct sales requires more than loving the product. It requires a few distinct characteristics in the company itself.
I’ve spent years researching this industry. I also networked for many years with women in direct sales. I am absolutely convinced that the product and company must have several essential characteristics. SeneGence has all of those characteristics. I speak more about this in this video: 8 reasons it’s easier to make money with SeneGence than other companies. A TL; DR is this:
– the product line must be consumable
– it must be a product most people already use (nearly all women use cosmetics and/or skin care
– the product must be unique in the marketplace, not a “me too” product available elsewhere
– the compensation plan must reward part-time effort and allow for quick earnings in weeks, not months or years
– there must be international presence
– the company must not be a start-up, it must have a proven track record of success without reaching saturation in the marketplace (absolutely true – SeneGence is a 20 year old company that most people have never heard of)
The SeneGence/LipSense business opportunity has all of these essential characteristics.
I’m finding that women love the products. They come to me asking to buy it. As soon as they see it on, notice how well it wears, and experience how it doesn’t smudge or kiss off, they want it! My customers also refer friends to me, meaning my customer base grows organically.
My second reason for starting a LipSense business
My other motivation is not financial. It’s deeply personal. As long-time readers of this blog know, I gave birth to a 27-weeker preemie 4 years ago. Thankfully, he is perfectly healthy. But the experience of that pregnancy, his birth and NICU stay… traumatized me. I struggled with grief and depression. While getting back to blogging, something I love to do, was very healing, I needed more.
Once the depression lifted, anxiety settled in. I began avoiding people. This is not the person I want to be. Starting a LipSense business forced me to talk to people again. And I’m having so much fun! Getting out of my comfort zone has been KEY in helping me feel whole and like myself again!
Interview With a LipSense Business Mom
The following is an interview with my sponsor in the business, Anna Newell Jones. I’ve mentioned Anna here before because I reviewed her book. When Anna started talking about her new side hustle LipSense business, I couldn’t believe it. Why would this successful photographer, blogger and author start slinging lipstick!?
Well, now I understand. 🙂 Here are Anna’s answers to the same 4 questions I asked our other participants in the series.
How much money does it take to start a SeneGence/LipSense business?
It’s $55/year. What I love most about this business is that there are no monthly minimums, no auto-ships, and no party requirements.
Who is a LipSense business right for?
– Someone who has skin/lips 😉 While the best seller & most popular product is the long-lasting liquid lipstick, LipSense, we also have insanely awesome skincare so there is SO much room for men to go super far in this business too
– People who want to be business owners and who are willing to treat it like a business
– People who are willing to learn and work (this is not a get-rich-quick thing)
– People who have a positive outlook on things
– People who are committed to succeeding
– People that need/want a few extra hundred or more a month
– People who have some disposable income to put into building stock. While you don’t have to have stock to do this business, think about it like this: If you went into Target you’d want to take the items home with you, you wouldn’t want to pre-order it.
Who This Business Would Not be Good For
– People who are not willing to learn, to be open, to try new things and get out of their comfort zone
– Negative people
– Those with no disposable income
What’s the income potential with a LipSense business?
It’s pretty wild what’s possible with this business. We can’t make income claims but I can tell you that whatever you’re willing to work for is possible. There’s also the opportunity to earn a car (a lease that SeneGence then reimburses you for) and trips! This year the trips are to Costa Rica and Disney World.
(Anne is being modest here and doesn’t mention it, but she and her family earned that trip to Costa Rica in January!)
What do you love most about your LipSense business Anna?
My husband recently lost his job. The daily financial stress of that situation has been relieved because of my Senegence income.
– I’ve been able to buy groceries for my family, stress free
– I’ve been able to build my savings back up
– I can fill up the gas tank
– We got a new vacuum!
– My commission checks from my team’s sales.
– I got to pick out a new car that I earned and the company is paying for it! I’ve never had a new car so this still blows my mind! It makes me feel super spoiled!
– I feel better about myself than ever before. I’ve got a new confidence!
– I’m recognized for doing a good job!
(Note from Carrie: I believe that this recognition is a huge part of why women are drawn to the direct sales industry. Let’s face it ladies, nobody praises us for putting a shine on the kitchen floor.)
One of my favorite things about my LipSense business? Rubbing shoulders with other amazing boss babe moms who cheer one another on. Being mentored and supported by wonderful, hard-working women is awesome! Here are a few of us at a company leadership convention. I was honored to be invited to this event representing the top 5% of the company’s leadership.
Non-Financial Benefits of my LipSense Business:
– My Facebook feed is now full of beautiful women telling other beautiful women how amazing they look.
– I’ve never felt alone in this business. There is so much support and training that it’s kind of mind-blowing.
– I’ve gotten to show my son what a strong business woman looks like! I love being that kind of role-model for him.
– While I love sharing our wedding photography business with my husband, it sure is nice to have something that’s all my own. Something that I get to call all the shots on.
– I get to help other women become business owners and I get to see them feel supported and empowered. I’m changing other people’s lives! I love helping and supporting small-businesses.
– I’m re-connecting with people that I had lost contact with
– I’ve gotten to feel proud of myself by getting out of my comfort zone
– I’ve actually spent less money on Amazon (Amazon-aholic much?) because I’m not “bored” or engaging in “stress” spending
– I have a whole new group of women friends! We support each other and we build each other
As I said, this blog isn’t going to become a LipSense business blog. I won’t be posting about SeneGence for a long time here. But if you’re interested at all in learning why I, as an established blogger and internet marketer, decided to start a LipSense business, watch this short video a few of the ladies on my team put together. I’m at the end.
That’s it! I invite you to take a serious look if you need a side hustle or want a lip color product that is patented and better than other products on the market. You can learn more at my LippyChic Facebook page.
Disclaimer: results like mine are not typical. Why? Because most people won’t work hard to succeed in a business. Does that describe you? Or do you like to hustle and make your goals happen? If you do, contact me. As a member of the Direct Sellers Association, SeneGence and its distributors are not allowed legally to make income claims. If you’d like to know how much money I earn, email me and I’ll tell you in person on the phone! My email address is clauth at gmail dot com. If you have a great work ethic and want to change your life, I’d love to talk to you.