“Expectation postponed is making the heart sick.”
– Proverbs 13:12
Solomon, you can say that again. At the moment, there are several situations in my life where the only action I can take is sit around and wait.
For one. we recently packed up our house in anticipation of a long-awaited move. (We wanted to buy a house but decided to rent for another year while we clean up a couple of things on our credit report.) Since the lease with our current landlord expired over 2 years ago, we thought we were free and clear. So when I found a rental that met our needs, spent $100 on the application fee and everything looked “go”, hubby told us to start packing for an August 1st move.
Only. When our new landlord contacted our old one to verify our (spotless rental record) residence, he pitched a fit. (Well, after ignoring us totally for days, something he’s really good at.) Turns out, when we signed the lease, he conveniently didn’t give us all the pages of our copy. Unbeknownst to us, there was a clause in the lease requiring a 60 day notice, even after it expired. I had done some research into our local real estate law and knew that legally this was not required, but alas, we had signed this document over 4 years ago and didn’t know of this detail.
So, currently my house looks pretty much like this:
It’s not so bad living with just the bare minimum of things, but the waiting is a bit depressing.
Our desire to move got new impetus recently when a heavy rain produced yet another flood in the basement. When we explained to our landlord that we wished to move because of the flooding (and resulting mold problems), he denied knowing it was still an issue. Which is a bit infuriating, since we had submitted multiple requests to his staff and each time, a jerry-rigged patch job was undertaken. He conceded that we do have mold, “but it’s not the toxic kind“, which I find pretty upsetting. Because according to my research, ALL mold is toxic, especially for certain populations. The smell of the mildew wafting up from the unfinished basement has become unbearable.
To cheer us up, my mom offered to take us all camping in the mountains for a week. If we were enduring the inconvenience of living out of boxes for the next several weeks, why not spend some of that time with this kind of view instead?
Chances are good that the placenta previa will resolve as the baby grows. (If it doesn’t, then I’m staring down a scheduled C-section before I ever have a labor pain, probably at 37 weeks.) But another complication is the bleeding I’m experiencing due to a subchorionic hemorrhage. (That’s a fancy word for blood clots that form in the folds of the placenta.) The danger with that is that the blood clot will become too large (right now it’s the size of a golf ball) and cause the placenta to separate from the uterine wall, meaning instant death for the baby and major blood loss for mom. This condition is also associated with an increased risk of miscarriage and preterm labor.
so that’s what’s new around here. hurry up and wait.