Dry winter weather is notoriously harsh on your skin. Exfoliating body scrubs can surely help slough off the old and expose the healthier skin underneath, but they can also be expensive.
There are also concerns that they contain harmful chemicals such as dyes, colors and fragrances. Why not try your hand at making your own? They may be a lot healthier, and they’re certainly cheaper. Here are some easy recipes for body scrubs to get you started.
Coffee Body Scrub
Coffee – it’s not just for mugs anymore. Coffee grounds have a reputation for smoothing out cellulite. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it’s worth a shot. Did you know that merely the aroma of coffee makes you feel more alert? With this scrub, you can have your coffee in the shower before you have your coffee! The texture of ground coffee is good for exfoliating the skin.
* 1 cup coffee grounds (regular, not decaffeinated – it’s the caffeine helps the cellulite)
* 1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
* 1/2 cup sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or other favorite carrier oil
Simply mix the ingredients together. You can double the recipe if you like. Apply to damp skin with a circular motion, and rinse.
Brown Sugar Scrub
This one is super simple. I mixed it up and gave it as gifts to some of my favorite ladies, and they loved it. Also, my Dad may or may not have stolen my Mom’s stash and asked me to make him his own.
* 2 cups brown sugar
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup oil (I like coconut, but sunflower or another oil you like are fine too)
* 1 T. vanilla extract
Mix thoroughly. This one smells heavenly! And while eating sugar may cause you to look older, putting it on your skin has the opposite effect.
Salted Chocolate Scrub
Coarse kosher salt makes this a smoothing scrub that gives your skin a nice glow.
* 2 cups kosher salt (you can get it in big boxes cheaply at the grocery store)
* 1/2 cup oil, such as sweet almond or jojoba
* 1/4 cup apricot kernel oil
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine all ingredients and apply to damp skin with a circular, massaging motion and rinse. I will not be held responsible if your husband wishes to lick you after you use this!
Yogurt Sugar Scrub
Yogurt and milk have been known for centuries to be good for the skin. The mild acids gently exfoliate the skin. Here is a recipe for a sugar scrub with yogurt.
* 1 cup coarse sugar, such as turbinado or raw sugar
* 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil or other carrier oil
* 1/4 cup coconut oil
* 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
* 1 tablespoon raw honey
* 3-4 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)
In an electric mixer, beat all the ingredients well until they are smooth and creamy. Apply as above.
Note: You may want to store your body scrubs in the fridge, as nut and seed oils are highly perishable, and you don’t want to be rubbing rancid oils on your skin. Alternatively, make them in smaller amounts and use them up quickly.
You might also like: